It isn’t every day that a development opportunity for a role at a VC pops up…. Well, Episode 1 Ventures is growing and they are looking to hire an Events & Comms Executive. This isn’t your standard marketing role though. They are looking for someone with PA / Admin / Office Management skills who is keen to develop into marketing! They will completely support your training and development including paying for marketing qualifications.
If you are ambitious, driven, keen to learn and can spin many plates then apply — or like to share!
At Episode 1 Ventures, we do investment differently! Investing at Seed stage, we support founders grow their businesses from the ground up providing them with dedicated support right the way through to Series A (and beyond). We don’t just handover a cheque and cross our fingers for success. With a bias to action, we dedicate time and expertise to work with founders and their teams to help them grow and succeed — in turn, they are more likely to secure higher levels of investment at Series A, sooner!
In order to do this (and really, nothing feels better than seeing businesses you work with achieve hyper-success) we have a team of not only Investment Partners, but also experts in their fields, who work with our investee companies on everything from Go To Market strategy to People Strategy & Culture to Financial Analysis & Modelling to general business operations, and everything in between. Our in-house expertise (check out the team here) sets us apart so that we can get businesses from “innovation to operations” (i2O), fast!
We have a current portfolio of 21 businesses and have just raised a £60m second fund so we are now investing into a second portfolio of 25–30 early stage UK companies. We currently have a team of 8 people internally and are looking to recruit an Events & Communications Executive to continue to achieve our mission — helping daring entrepreneurs create the future and master the journey from Seed to Series A.
This is a really exciting developmental role for someone super organised who can support our growing business, both from an internal perspective as well as driving its success in the market.
We are looking for someone who can spin plates, is a completer-finisher and can work hard and fast balancing the critical things that need to be done now vs the important things that need to be done for the long term.
The role is multifaceted making it exciting with no day being the same!
You will split your time over:
1. Delivering our communication goals
- Support the refinement and re-launch of our brand positioning, including website and brand messaging, delivered through a refined communications strategy and improved communication tools
- Promotion of our i2O offering, with a broader array of experts and improved logistics and organisation
- Development, in conjunction with the team, of an overall messaging architecture and communications plan driven by content and thought leadership
- Ownership of our PR strategy and cadence of information flow to relevant stakeholders
- Delivery of our newsletters and delivering on the growth of an engagement strategy via social media
2. Co-ordinating relevant events for our community
- Refine and increase our signature Episode 1 community events — the AGM, summer barbeque, CEO and CTO dinners
- Organising, promotion and communication of our i2O events across the entrepreneur ecosystem
- Driving attendance for all events and coordinating logistics
3. General PA & Office Manager duties (keeping us constantly responsive)
- These are changeable but could include:
- Managing contracts related to our office
- Scheduling meetings and travel
- Ensuring we are well stocked for food, tea & coffee
- Light accounting duties
The core purpose of this role is to support us with our growing marketing activity but we don’t expect a marketing expert. Someone with some experience or knowledge is preferable but an ambitious generalist is what we are after — and we will support your growth and development, train you (there is a lot to learn) and would invest financially in your future by covering the costs for marketing qualifications!
An attitude of wanting to grow and learn, having a bias to action and always wanting to do things better is critical. It also helps to love building relationships, attending events yourself and networking — this is a great opportunity to really understand the VC ecosystem, tech businesses and drive up contacts within a wider network!
If you have experience as a PA or Office Manager but Marketing is a real passion for you, then this is an ideal opportunity. You will utilise your current skill-set at the same time developing a new one in events and communication!
The team at Episode 1 work in a close, adult, autonomous but supportive culture where the most important thing is supporting our investee companies to succeed! So, other than the immeasurable pleasure that you get from making that happen, you will also receive:
- A competitive salary
- Performance related bonus
- Matching personal pension contribution
- Developmental opportunities to learn about investments and venture capital, in addition to role-specific opportunities
- Superb central London location
This kind of opportunity is rare! If this sounds exciting and if you meet the requirements above then please apply!
We won’t patronise you by telling you what to send across as part of your application — just make sure that we know why you are applying and why this role is right for you (skills, knowledge and attitude). If you don’t send a CV, please make sure that your LinkedIn profile is up to date with detail of your responsibilities/ impact for your current and previous roles.
PS: In order to manage your expectations as to the process and timelines:
Process: a phone call, a face to face interview, a task/work sample, a culture fit interview (involving lunch or early evening drinks with a few of the team).
Timelines: We’d love someone to join as soon as possible so we aren’t looking at a long process for this, saying that, hiring the right person is critical, so we won’t rush to put a bum on a seat either! We are very people focussed so you will have a great candidate experience. If you aren’t successful, we will feedback as to why and we will never leave you hanging.